Sunday, October 05, 2008

A Heap Of Living

I found my book, "A Heap of Living" by Edgar A. Guest in the storage unit today with my name, address and phone number inscribed on the inside from when I was 10 years old. Mom and I were guessing it was my grandmother's handwriting. Mom knows most of the his poems by heart ... so I am guessing she bought for me. I do remember the poems but not actually reading this book. It is also a coincidence that mom said she was just talking to someone at church yesterday about this book and had said we had that book but she hadn't seen it in years. The last coincidence is that I was just listening to Vinyl Cafe on KUOW Thomas Fischer Rare Books Library, about how it tells much of the person what they have written in the margins of the books right before I entered the storage unit. I have found many books with notes taken, something important left between the pages for me to find years later. It thrilled me to think someone had read, written, touched the pages, imagined what they had been doing in their lives when they had this book. And then minutes later I happened upon my own book from long ago.



a heap of living, Edgar Allen Guest

a heap of living, Edgar Allen Guest

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post, it's my alltime favorite blogpost.

Anonymous said...

Love the pic!

Gerrie