Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Someone's Final Post

I was glad that I got to listen to a little of The Sandbox: Dispatches from Troops in Iraq and Afghanistan on KUOW this morning. I found this, Final Post from MAJ Andrew Olmsted (via hilzoy), longtime blogger killed on January 3rd in Iraq. And although, I am not in favor of this war but I do have great admiration for our soldiers over there.

I wasn't surprised to listen to the bloggers talk about how therapeutic it was to capture their experiences in the moment. I didn't realize how many military blogs were out there. I love the romantic notion of finding an old box full of letters wrapped in a ribbon for us to read decades later about someones war experience, when maybe it isn't so painful to reminisce. But have to admit, reading it real time makes it so intense and scary, so personal, sometimes, heartbreaking.

And this one, an American military surgeon deployed to Iraq. Well, I can't choose just one or two to list here, from my clicking around they are all worth checking into.

No comments: