Sunday, January 14, 2007

Mentors, Artists and Friends

The thought of this post all started yesterday while I was talking to my friend Faith about Otis. We were talking about all the teachers we had at Angelo State University and how much they meant to us. How, even today, we keep up with many of them, they are good friends. And I started comtemplating how much they meant to me, how much they gave to me, whether they knew it or not. And the close friends I made during those wonderful years in San Angelo, Texas. There are so many professors there that changed my life. Unfortunately, I can't find some of them. But I know where most of them are ... too bad for them!

I had many wonderful mentors, artist and teachers that were inspirations in my 20's and 30's. My curmudgeon boss, Keith Corley, whom I love and adore to this day. He taught me about illustrating for the newspaper, paste-up, dark rooms, making "stats" and a Robertson camera -- an enormous piece of equipment that was always breaking down. So many things he taught me that helped land my first "artist" job at the Dallas Times Herald. He knew that the likes of Kinko's and computers, scanners and personal printers would put his print shop out of business one day. I wish I was still sitting in the office, listening to the hum of a printer in the front room, the entire place smelling of printers ink.

Warren Cullar, he wasn't very impressed with me in my wild days, but he was an inspiration to me. I think the last time I ran into him, years after school, at a paper-making class, he muttered something like "God, Kim C, I thought I never have to see you again" (or something in that order). Okay, I got it straight from my friend Phyl (who has known me for some-odd 30-years now and has seen me in all of my phases, good and bad. She is a big inspiration for me!) When he saw me, he actually turned to someone and said "She is why I quit teaching school". I can't remember if he actually acknowledged I was there. ;0

I went to school with Cindy Hanson who wrote “Cooking With Lard”. Phyl and I call her once or twice a year to see how our famous playwriting friend is doing.

My friend, Sherry, who encouraged me to go to work for her neighbor, Keith Corley. She is a constant source of inspiration. She is an amazing ceramist, and needs to get back into that.

Faith, my phone shrink for 30+ years now ... she is my rock, she knows every sorted detail about me. Therapy with humor and love. She is also an artist. Faith and I had Otis' painting classes ... the good ole days. ;) Faith and I both keep up with Otis' goings-on ... we decided we would buy a piece of his work together and share it, but we are always arguing about which piece we will purchase.

Otis Lumpkin. Otis taught me to paint at Angelo State University. He encouraged me to "walk through the door" and graduate. When I would lag behind or complain I did not have the money to buy art supplies to do some project, he would give me a "look" and tell me I had to graduate and get that behind me. It was a door and I had to move through it. He encouraged me to pursue my dream of becoming a portrait painter. How did I go so astray? Not sure he would be so proud of me now.

I saw Otis a couple of years ago at his home in San Angelo. Not surprising, he had not aged a day! Since that visit his extraordinarily beautiful wife passed away. He has taken up his painting again and is showing at Hook-Epstein Gallery in Houston.







Dr. Prestiano, art historian genious. Who kept me coming back for 8 a.m. classes, until I passed at least one of them!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't help to giggle and groan when I think of Dr. Prestiano's lectures. I sat in the front row as close to the overhead as I could so I would have a running chance to keep awake :). Thankfully, I managed to pass in one semester...I might have contemplated changing majors otherwise. I loved that he used a ton of slides from his own travels though. My baby (yes, baby - all of 19 years old) sister just made her way through one of his classes last semester.

Kim Carney said...

That is so funny. I would sit in the very back and go to sleep. I just could not help myself! Why do they always have those kinds of classes, in the dark, with a projecter in the early mornings! Hence, I took many of his classes over and over, which was fine, because, I did love his class ;) And of course, adore him ;)

Nimbostratusdweller said...

200402
I loved Bob's classes, until I took Italian Renaissance, and he was writing a book, and planning a trip to Italy for a group..all in one semester...OMG... it was a night mare that semester was..
But Bob was, as always, a delight.

Yes, I seem to recall encouraging you to work for Keith, lol..those were the days my friend...

DR. Noelke, (Gov.) a wonderful man, one of ASU's best professors, Martha Wittstruck, (ceramics) one of my best friends, like you, forever...oh remember Vinklarek?

Remember us rewriting my papers over and over under the influence of a bottle of vino? ( For Henderson's class, your next door neighbor)..and how about Shakespeare, was that Dr Davis, or what was that other profs name that taught Shakespeare? I had 3 profs for Shakespeare?

My my, but it was a long time ago, golden years, we met in sculpting class, remember?

If I had to pick a time to live again, maybe that would be the time, that and the New Art Gallery, and all my New Art Gallery friends.

Thanks for perking up my memory Kim, Happy New Year.

Oh and Janine Randall? Never forget Janine!