Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Triple Chocolate Raspberry Brownies

I made these tonight, and they almost put me in a diabetic coma. Yum. From 'Simply Classic, Junior League of Seattle'. This is a wonderful cookbook.
I used good Scharffen Berger chocolate. My one problem is cutting brownies in good clean squares. Have never been able to conquer that. Any suggestions?

(PS ... I had previously called the Little League of Seattle ;) which was incorrect. You can guess what was going on in my life back then. I have corrected that now.

Definitely chill them overnight makes cutting them in neat little squares very easy. And trust me, they are so dangerously packed with so much chocolate, they need to be small portions.

10 oz bittersweet chocolate
3 oz semi-sweet chocolate
2 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3 large eggs
1/2 cup raspberry liqueur
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Preheat oven 350. Butter a 9x13 in pan. Chop chocs coarsely. In double boiler, over hot, not simmering water, melt chocolates with butter and cocoa powder, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Remove top portion of double boiler and cool mixture in lukewarm water, about 10 minutes.
In large bowl, beat sugars and eggs with electric mixer at high speed until thick and light colored, 5 minutes. Beat in liqueur and vanilla. Add chocolate mixture, mix well until well-blended. Mixer on low speed, beat in flour and salt just until combined.
Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth surface with rubber spatula. Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 in from center comes out slightly moist. Cool pan on wire rack. When completely cool, cut brownies into squares, dust with powdered sugar.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Okay, for starters your chocolate posts are making me drool!

Secondly, for 'the perfect brownies,' Martha says to flip them out of the pan onto a cutting surface after they have cooled. Use a large chef's knife to cut the brownies into quarters and then quarter the quarters. Hers always look perfect. Mine, on the other hand never make it long enough to cool.

Thirdly, your peonies are beautiful. I wish my brown thumb were slightly more greenish.

Kim Carney said...

Okay, I am going to try that. I want nice, clean squares!

Anonymous said...

All Kim's readers should know that these brownies were maybe the best brownies I've ever tasted. On second thought, skip the maybe part. They rocked! - Paige

Anonymous said...

This brownie recipe sounds sooo good! As for making nice clean cuts, not possible for me because they aren't around long enough to practice. :))